Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Mexican Rice - Food Of The World


This month we the crew from Food of the world are Travelling to Mexico . I am a day late to publish my Recipe for this Month . So many things happened in a month , main thing was i broke my laptop , had to send it for service , Lost all my data ,including the photos i had shot ( I haven't posted it yet too ) , i was sick .... . OK now everything apart after a month of break i am back.


I always do feel that Indian food and Mexican food are quite similar . Both the cuisines uses various flavorful spices . As i cook Indian food daily , when ever we plan to dine out , we usually prefer to go to a Mexican Restaurant. I usually order Shrimp and Fish Fajitas and Spicy Tortilla soup. Oh my gosh , the Mexican restaurant we usually go is the Best Mexican grill i have ever dined . The fajitas are loaded with Shrimp , Fish and Cheese . The best part is the free Tortilla chips with home made dips :) .

I had prepared Flavorful Mexican Rice . I served with a dollop of  Sour cream and topped with Salsa . I am pretty sure these kinds of rice doesn't need a gravy .

Ingredients :

Long grain rice - 1/2 Cup ( i used basmathi )
Chopped onions - 1/4 Cup
Chopped Capsicum- 1/4 Cup
Green Peas - 1/4 Cup
Sweet Corn - 1/4 Cup
Cumin powder - 1/2 TSP
Salt - To Taste
Tomato Puree / Sauce - 1/4 Cup ( I used spiced sauce )
Chili Powder - If needed 
Bay Leaf - 2
Butter - 1 TBSP
Oil - 1 TBSP
Spring Onions - To Garnish
Water / Chicken Broth - 2 to 21/2 Cups



Instructions:

-  Add the butter and oil in the pan. Once the Butter / Oil is nice and hot , add the bay leaf and rice .
- Make sure it is in the medium heat , Roast it till it is golden brown .
- Add the chopped onions and capsicum . Cook till the onions turn brown .
- Add the Corn and Peas . Sprinkle some salt , chili powder and cumin powder .
- Add tomato sauce . Mix it completely .
- After 5 minutes add the broth or water . Mix it once . Close it with the lid and cook it completely .
- Before that make sure there is enough salt in it .
- Finally when the rice is fully cooked , Mix it once to make sure it is not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle some spring onions .
- Serve it with sour cream and salsa .





Do visit all the co-host by clicking their photos







17 comments:

  1. Great group of dishes. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rice looks delish :-) I am sure they tasted great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious. You have nice space. I am your new follower.
    Visit my blog in your free time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks incredible, such a colourful and delicious Mexican rice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi from Brazil. looks yummy...similar to mexican rice that I make. Thanks for hosting. folowing you along now. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i usually do not eat rice but just cant keep my hands away from the mexican rice. Its coz of all the spices flavor. so yummy. perfect cooked and so tempting in the picture.
    Love to see you at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shey,
    I just love your Mexican Rice it looks like it has great flavor. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe and looking forward to cooking with you in France next month. Hope you are having a great week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mexican dishes always look so good and taste even better. While in US I used to frequent Chipotle at any given time. I loved this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Ladies! Thank you for hosting such a fabulous party. Please swing by and party with us. We love having you! http://loulougirls.blogspot.com
    Happy Tuesday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mexican rice look delicious and nice roundup too...Hope you are fine and keeping good.Didn't see for some time...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mexican rice looks delicious. I really like the addition of the green onions. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  12. the rice looks so colourful and healthy. Please participate in the diwali event I am hosting. Thanks.
    http://mayurisjikoni.blogspot.com/2014/10/event.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there! It's been a while but you linked up to Thriving on Thursday back in April 2014, the last time I had the linky party. Great news! I've started up the linky party again and I'd love for you to stop by some time and link up some of your projects. Hope to see you soon.

    http://domesblissity.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/thriving-on-thursdays-linky-party-114.html

    Anne @ Domesblissity
    Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete